So I am back from my trip to campus. Meeting my wonderful friends for the one last time in my beautiful campus in Goa. The campus seems as different as I had expected it to be. There are far less people I know who are visible. Too many junior faces I have never seen before. Some of my batch mates have made up their mind to try every single reckless thing possible before they passed out. So many different, wild stories about people I thought I knew, I am almost sure I can’t be surprised anymore ever now. Anyway, nobody is a teenager anymore and hoping that people realize what they are making of their lives, I am no one to judge about the way things are going.
A trip to campus cannot be complete without checking the new downloads on DC. So I went online on DC++ after a really long time! Not too many familiar nick names. My seniors left and practically half of my batch isn’t there. I don’t get the topics they are talking about. All I can relate to is a certain guy helplessly asking how much of an Avg plus is required to get a certain grade in a certain subject. The woes of college life! A look at the DC topics and I almost saw my life of past four years on campus in a flash. I know it may seem stupid and too far-fetched for most of you. But I couldn’t ignore the uncanny resemblance. Maybe everything hasn’t changed. Probably it’s just newer younger people facing the same detest for mess food, enjoying the same jokes about couples in libraries and the same cribbing for marks which made you feel ‘safe’ in the B or C or in rare cases the A zone. I will just enlist a few topics here alongwith the memories it sparked :
- Entire Chemical CDC 3-1 and 3-2 books for sale including consys and numal! PM xyz fast! I cannot forget all the books buying and selling hoopla around the start and end of every sem! I have never kept books with me with the fear that the dreaded subjects will haunt me even when I am done with the courses. I cannot underestimate the joy of striking a seemingly good business deal!
- Check !r to check new downloads for vacation! Special bonanza for vacations! This no one can ever forget. All the movies, the series, the songs, the trailers, the stupid videos and occasionally the educational stuff. The two hub giants ready to slit each other’s throats which frankly helped all the others on campus in general. I personally believe people who download and maintain these giant hubs are the most selfless people on campus.
- Department of creative media is inducting. People interested in working for college fest’s websites, videos, posters and more contact firstname.lastname@example.org It reminds me of all the wonderful college festivals I have witnessed. All the crazy work in making the brilliant festivals. The really silly auditions I gave, the clubs I worked with, the election I stood for, the brilliant nites we saw, the lovely food we ate and the wonderful memories of them all.
- Current Affairs students who haven’t collected their compree papers can collect them and also verify post compree totals in IC’s chamber tomorrow before 5. The countless papers I have collected. The closed books, the open books, the semi-open books, the one-page open books, phew! All the calculations with averages, the mental histograms and the fighting for few marks here and there in the name of justice!
- Anyone going to Madgaon tomorrow at 6 pm and willing to share a cab PM abc. The wonderful outings with friends in Goa. The sultry beaches, the sumptuous sea-food, the shopping at Palolim, the friend’s treat, the club outings, the endless number of times I just got up and left for Vasco with my friend, the mad Zari bus rides and complaining for the zillionth time about the cab prices being more than the food I ate!
- ASCII sweatshirts arriving on 15th..those who won’t be in campus next sem fill this form. I cannot remember a single time I have been fully happy with the t-shirt. They either don’t come at the right time or in the right colour and for girls definitely not in the right size. In spite of all this, I order every single time and flaunt it beyond my mother’s approval when at home. Last updated, she hid my Quark tshirt somewhere because she was tired of seeing me wear oversize black tshirts all the time!
- Placement Team Notice for 2008 Batch ——> magnet:abc.pdf This reminds me of all the serious part of my life in campus. The tests, the interviews, the final selections, the anxiety, the screams, the sobbing, the hopes and the relief. The last semester of my campus life which involved the proving myself part from placements to CAT preparations. A friend once told me ‘you cannot live life just planning for the future’ True to his words, most of us seemed drained with all the preparations and the uncertainty.
I was jolted out of my thoughts, as my DC connection went kaput. And then my friend guessed maybe it was because of the MAC address conflict. Save to say, my computer was no longer a part of the campus. I was but a guest now and it seemed like a sign about how it was time to leave.
Everyone seemed to be asking everyone the same question, a question all were expected to have an answer to - What plans ahead? It’s as if the whole batch grew up overnight becoming individuals who should all be equipped with the right plans about where they will work or study next! I remember times not long ago when all I worried about was my next meal. Or that next episode of the really stupid How I Met Your Mother! Or being awake for a certain tut lest I missed a test.
I didn’t get too sentimental about leaving college and you can call me a stone for all I care. It was a bit painful to see my friends leave realizing that times will never come back. You can not afford the carefree years anymore. You could not afford to not know what you will do in the next few years. Sad as that may sound, the whole essence of human life is to grow and meet new people and learn more. If you refuse to leave the first place you learnt so much, how do you expect to know all that is there outside! To learn and be able to teach someone. To see for yourself everything you heard and beyond. To find your real call in life! To explore, to experience and to see your dreams come true!
Wishing all my batchmates a brilliant journey ahead full of all the good things they expect and more! Cheers!
P.S:Thank you Dushyant for the wonderful photo :)